Girlfriends Guide To Divorce: Realistic? Maybe Worth Watching? Definitely

So, last night, I sat down and watched the premiere of Girlfriends’ Guide to Divorce, trying to put my bitterness and jealously aside and be an unbiased critic. Here is my review:

The Plot

Abby McCarthy is the best selling author of a self-help series who seems to have the perfect life: a cute husband, two great kids who attend a prestigious private school, a beautiful home, and all the money she needs.

But the truth is, her marriage is crumbling, and she and her husband, Jake are trying to hide it from everyone, including the kids. While Jake is already dating (and sleeping with women), Abby is desperately holding onto hope of saving the marriage. One night changes everything…

Abby’s two new best girlfriends, Phoebe and Lyla (both divorced) take her out to a new club. There she meets (and has sex with) the gorgeous, young manager of the place. When she gets home at 5 a.m., Jake goes ballistic and their fight leads to the kids walking in and finding out their parent’s marriage is over.

At her Barnes And Noble book signing the next day, Abby blows her cover of having the perfect life, telling the crowd she sometimes wishes her husband would die. The episode ends with her walking out of the store, probably relieved to have come clean, but in a way, broken.

The Actors
Maybe the producers of Girlfriends Guide To Divorce missed out on a great writer (me), but they certainly got it right with the actors—every one of them. I remember Lisa Edelstein all the way back from Seinfeld. Just hilarious! And beautiful. Next, they went with Paul Adelstein, who was the pediatrician on Private Practice. The only thing that bothered me was that they named the couple “The McCarthy’s” when they both clearly look Jewish. Why not make them a Jewish family? That said, throw in Janeane Garafalo and Carrie Fisher and this cast really was top-notch.



What I Think
So, I have to admit, I was thoroughly captivated during the whole show, which might be because divorce is my business. But I don’t think so. As far as pure entertainment value, I’d rank it up there withGrey’s Anatomy (the early years), Desperate Housewives, and maybeLipstick Jungle.

Did it paint a realistic picture of divorce? At times, I think it did, even though it was greatly embellished for the purpose of entertainment (which it should be).

It was funny to watch scenes that were similar to scenes in my novels,Free Gift With Purchase and Divorced Girl Smiling, such as Abby and Phoebe’s French kiss, Abby’s vulnerability when sleeping with a much younger man, and Abby’s girlfriends telling her that people saw Jake get a hotel room with a much younger woman. What it made me realize is, there are certain “givens” that typically happen during a separation and divorce, and any writer would include these in his or her show. Not saying every newly separated woman goes out and kisses another girl, in fact, most probably don’t. But, most DO have that first encounter (and many times it is with a younger man).

Very unrealistic: when Abby calls out “Jake” during sex with the younger guy. No way a separated woman would do that. Just wouldn’t happen (in my opinion.)

Also, I could have done without the brother character—Abby runs into him in a coffee shop and is avoiding telling him about her divorce because he is so conservative. Who does that?! It’s your brother! When I was getting divorced, I called my brother crying and seeking support. That seems more realistic to me.

I could also have lived without the gorgeous gay friend who is one of the dads at Abby’s kids’ school. I saw no value or purpose in that relationship. That said, there is a scene where the gay guy says, “Marriage is forever. It’s not like there was abuse or alcoholism.” Abby then replies, “I’m sorry I disappointed you in the fact that I wasn’t abused.” Very good writing.

I think my favorite scene was when Abby gets home at 5 a.m. and Jake is sitting at the kitchen table waiting. The fact that she slept with someone drives him nuts, even though he has been sleeping with several women. So, what does he do? He tries to have sex with her! Very realistic of what a man would do. But, I was so glad she didn’t do it. She had just had sex with the younger guy an hour ago. That would have been kind of yucky. The scene was realistic in the sense that newly separated couples often go back and forth, indecisiveness every minute and things becomming explosive.

I will look forward to watching Girlfriends’ Guide To Divorce next week, and probably for the whole season. Not just because of my business, but I’m curious and I really care about Abby (which is a credit to Edelstein and the producers of the show.)

It’s funny. I once pitched both my novel, Free Gift With Purchase and my unpublished manuscript, I’ve Got Issues to a well-known movie producer. He said to me, “Divorce movies don’t sell. No one wants to watch their divorce on TV or in a theatre. It’s just too painful.” Really? First of all, the guy is married (never divorced) so how did he know that? Secondly, he is out of the business now. Here is my answer to him:
Girlfriends Guide To Divorce: Realistic? Maybe Worth Watching? Definitely Girlfriends Guide To Divorce: Realistic? Maybe Worth Watching? Definitely Reviewed by Ruby Kaur on December 20, 2014 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.